Why eskate rather than a scooter ?
- the feeling, even if my gyro or scooter friends tell me they are having fun
- I have my hands free to signify that I am going to turn, to protect myself if I fall, to amplify my movements (opening, closing a turn)
- I can bend down if there is an obstacle (a rear mirror for example) or if I have to make an emergency roll, or simply because it’s fun ; Damms points out to me that with « a scooter your stance is very straight » while with an eskate you are very mobile
- being on the side gives me strength for a crash braking with my front leg as well as my chest which can push the movement back
- being on the side allows me to look behind me which is useful in urban situations or when I ride with my friends
- Francois while reading my list invites me to add a forgotten point « the practical side in transport ».
- the feeling is soooo much like an off-pist snowboard. Damms puts it well in these words « The feeling of being on a snowboard in an urban environment, with the carve and the old dreams of the movie Back to the Future » which become a reality (note that, in Back to the Future 2, we are in… 2015 !). There, all is said !
A bit like for the ski lifts with a snowboard or the flats (we are not facing so it’s a bit of a mess, and we don’t have a stick to push so we have to take off your shoes;), the eskate has its limits :
- in the turns, when it is a little tight, sometimes it does not pass, whereas a scooter or a bicycle can without worries. You have to make a movement if you have a tail or reposition the skateboard by hand. It is feasible, but it is to be taken into account.
- the lack of vision in the back is a real point of vigilance. Francois, who is a scooter fan but lets himself be tempted by the eskate from time to time said to me “to be on the side, I don’t find it great to look behind the left side. «
- the scooter allows you to go much faster (Damms tells me about the dual tron in particular) while keeping a certain mobility, a bit like a small motorcycle, while beyond 40 km / h, it becomes dangerous for an eskate or it remains a very static & linear movement.
News & articles.
Découvrez les nouvelles, conseils, articles de fond, revues de presse…